What does studies abroad mean?

Studying abroad is a collective word for exchange studies and internships, both of which mean that you are studying part of your education in another country. If you go on an exchange, you take courses, just like here at home. The courses can either be included in your degree, or complement your education in completely different subjects. If you go on a job abroad, you are working on a project instead. It can be anything from international degree project in the US to paid summer internship in Italy

What is the difference between practical training and exchange?

At an internship abroad you work on a project, while during an exchange you take courses. Internships can be applied for several times a year and can be done, among other things, as bachelor’s, degree or summer projects. The project can have varying lengths. Exchange can be applied for once in the autumn and once in the spring and usually last for one or two semesters.

When is the best time to go?

In order to increase the chance of ending up at the university you prefer as well as having more choices regarding courses and projects, it is best to go in the fourth or fifth year of your education. In the field of engineering programmes, it is generally difficult to credit all courses you take abroad. However, it is easier to credit courses during your last two years because at that time there are more elective courses.

When does the application procedure close?

See “Important dates and deadlines” for application periods for exchange and practical training abroad.

What courses can I take abroad?

The courses you can read depend on the exchange agreement you are going through. The Unit of International Mobility has many general exchange agreements that allow you to take courses both within and outside your subject area (chemical engineering). If you go through the Teknat Faculty or the Department of Chemistry, you will be more tied to technical and chemical courses, but on the other hand you will find it easier to credit these in your education. For more specific information about which courses you can take abroad, please visit each university’s course catalogue.

How do I find the university course catalogue?

Internationally, “course” is usually the equivalent to what we call “program”. It can therefore be difficult to find course catalogues for each university. Try googling around on “handbook”, “unit of study list”, “list of subjects” or “classes”. Sometimes even “course catalogue” or similar works. For some universities, the course catalogue is linked when you read about the university via the unit of international mobility, the faculty or the department.

For how long can I be gone?

You can be away 3-12 months at a time. Exchanges usually last for one or two semesters, while internships depend on the duration of the project.

Can I go abroad several times?

Yes, you can go abroad several times, but those who have not previously been on exchange will be prioritized in the first place. However, you can go on studies abroad first through exchange and then through internships. Then you have equal chance of going because they count as two different things.

Can I credit courses I take abroad into my degree?

If you take courses corresponding to those we have within the K-program here in Uppsala, you can credit yourself with some courses. However, it is generally difficult to credit all the courses within a master’s programme. Therefore, think of the exchange more as an opportunity to gather personal and academic experiences, while at the same time experiencing a new culture and make connections around the world.

What level of language skills are required?

It depends on which university you choose to go to. If you are applying to an English speaking university, you may need to take a language test (TOEFL) if you have a high school diploma older than 5 years at the time of applying. If you are looking for a university with a different language of instruction, you need to be able to write your personal letter in the requested language.

How will I be able to finance my studies abroad?

While studying abroad, you are still eligible for CSN, both loans and grants. You also have the option to borrow more money to cover any additional costs such as travel and insurance. Keep in mind, however, that it is sometimes more expensive to live abroad than in Sweden (with the exception of some countries). It can therefore be good to save money for studying abroad or apply for a scholarship through, for example, the Scholarship Office.

How do I get a scholarship?

You can apply for general scholarships through UU’s Scholarship Office and on various websites, e.g Stipendier.se. If you are traveling to a university in the Nordic region or Europe, you can apply for a Nordplus or Erasmus scholarship. For the general exchanges (via the Unit of International Mobility) you can also find a small selection of other scholarships on each region’s website.

Do you have any other questions?

Contact the K-section’s Internationally liable person at k-sekreterare@utn.se or the K sections student counselor Paula Forslund at studievagledare-k@uu.se.