Section General Meeting
Once every fall and spring, the K-section arranges its General Meeting. It is our highest decision-making body, where all students democratically decides on the function and future of the section. Elections to the Board and all other positions in the section are issued and then appointed by the General Meeting.
The form and rules of the General Meeting is regulated in the K-section’s statutes. The notice of the meeting, as well as all documents needs to bepresented at least two weeks prior, which the President is responsible for. The Election Committee is responsible for announcing all of the elections and conduct interviews with applicants to give nominations for each position to the General Meeting. Apart from the elections, the General Meeting also decides on propositions from the board, as well as eventual motions from the members of the section.
General Meeting = our highest decision-making body
Proposition = proposal from the Board
Motion = proposal from our members
Acclamation = voting by calling out ”Yes”
Voting = anonymous voting
Plead = to give a suggestion or amendment
Reconcile = to agree with another plead
Draw a line in the debate = ending the debate after the last speaker
Adjuster = person tasked to impartially adjust and approve the General Meeting protocol
Tellers = comunicates the results of each voting to the General Meeting’s Chairman
General Meeting Rules
- At least 20 members need to be present for the General Meeting to be valid.
- All students have exercise right for motions, handed to the Board at least 1 week prior. Template for motions can be found in the document archive.
- If you need to leave early, notify the Board at least the day before.
- If you feel the discussion is at a stand-still, you can plead to draw a line in the debate.
- If you wish to speak or if you have a question, raise your hand.
- Decisions are made through acclamation. With multiple alternatives voting is used. Descisions are made with simple majority if nothing else is stated.
- With acclamation the Chairman asks if the General Meeting can approve the proposal. All for call out ”Yes”. It is then asked if someone is against, if that is the case you call out ”Yes” at that time
- You apply via the forms the Election Committee publish. After that you will be called to an interview. The Election Committee works under secrecy and do not notify the applicants whether they are nominated or not. You can also candidate on scene at the General Meeting.
- The Election Committee’s nomination is only a recommendation, it is the General Meeting that appoints each position.
- The Election Committee will ask everyone that has applied, or intend to candidate on scene to come up. You can withdraw your application at any time if you wish.
- Each candidate will then give a speech motivating their election. The other candidates leaves the room meanwhile. It is good to prepare this beforehand, also try to keep the speach to maximum 5 minutes. Afterwards, the General Meeting can ask you questions.
- When all candidates have given their speech they will leave the room and the General Meeting holds a discussion around all candidates. Each candidate will prior to the General Meeting choose one person that speaks for them specifically. Preferably under 5 minutes.
- The General Meeting then makes the decision. Depending on the number of candidates this is done either by acclamation or voting.
- Someone from the Board or Election Committee goes out to the candidates to announce who was elected.
- When the candidates re-enter, it is important that we do not applaude out of respect for the ones not elected!
Each General Meeting
Four members to the Election Committee
Deputy Head of the Club Committee
Deputy Business Contact
Treasurer as well as Vice President
Internationally Liable Person as well as Secretary
Chairman of the Student Council
Student Welfare Liable Person
PR- Liable Person and Webmaster
Sports Liable Person
Four members to UTN’s Union Council
Head of Recruitment
Three members to the Programme Council
Member in UTN’s Election Committee
Student Member to the Institution Board at the Department of Chemistry Ångström
Student Member to the Institution Board at the Department of Chemistry BMC